I have a bit of a confession to make.
First of all, Spanish food is delicious. Home-cooked or otherwise, I’ve enjoyed almost everything I’ve tried here, and it’s one aspect of studying abroad I know I’m going to miss severely. That’s why I do not know why a few weekends ago while in Sevilla my friends and I decided forgoing an evening of tapas for a late night run to BURGER KING would be a good idea.
Actually, I know exactly why.
It was nearing midnight, we were exhausted after a full day of touring and exploring, and deciding our travels justified a sweet gastronomical reward, we resolved not to settle for anything less than the creamy coldness of frozen dairy. With its all too familiar globular symbol glowing red, blue and gold enticing us like moths to a flame from the corner near our hotel, we were helplessly unable to refuse the spoils of American fast food.
I honestly cannot remember the last time I ate at a Burger King or a McDonald’s at home, and since I try to eat reasonably healthily, I had practically sworn off entering anywhere that induces loud screams of horror from my fragile arteries. Nevertheless, the ice cream was delicious, reasonably priced, and perfectly satisfying, and came in a much smaller portion that its American counterpart. And since we had to make use of our bilingual skills to read the menu and order our food, we were able to vindicate our indulgence as just another international encounter in the life of Americans abroad.
So far, I’ve easily resisted walking in the doors of any of the three Burger Kings here in Granada, despite passing one of the locations multiple times a day. The only golden arches I’ve seen are situated on the very outskirts of the main city, a 45-minute walk from my house, so I have yet to experience a McMeal the Spanish way just yet.
Comparing the online menus of Spain’s Mickey D’s with that of America’s, very little difference is immediately noticeable. Both strongly promote their beef products and offer chicken and fish options along with desserts, Happy Meals and those irresistible, salted-to-perfection french fries.
As for other “sides,” the Spanish McMenu includes cherry tomatoes, a thicker version of the traditional french fry called patatas deluxe, and chicken wings instead of chicken strips.
I find it amusing that the Spanish McDonald’s is loudly punctuated by Spanglish, like in the Chicken Bacon Onion sandwich advertisements circulating ad nauseam on Spanish televisions.
Both seem to be making an effort (at least from an advertising perspective) to be more health conscious. For instance, McDonald’s in Spain offers only four salad choices while in America there are at least ten different “healthy” combinations. In general, Spain lacks the countless options of American McDonald’s, most notably in the dessert and aforementioned salad categories.
Also, McDonald’s here includes unique Spanish items like gazpacho and a McFlurry topping of conguitos (similar to white chocolate chips).
Though my self-educated, (thanks, Eric Schlosser!) health conscious tendencies have me avoiding the childhood haven of mass produced hamburger patties and greasy french fries, I’m thinking a McFlurry wouldn’t be so bad right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment