My goal of completely immersing myself in the Spanish culture means I have no choice but to visit as many parts of the country as possible. Slowly this is becoming a more of a reality as I have now successfully experienced life in Madrid, Seville, Córdoba, Barcelona, and of course, Granada.
Most recently, my friend Clarissa and I took a weekend trip to the beautiful costal Barcelona, Spain’s second largest city. We left Granada last Friday evening and were scheduled to arrive at our destination with plenty of time to explore the city’s Montjuïc area.
But trip-planning rarely follows any sort of schedule, and taking the train from the airport proved a little challenging, even for two travel-savvy girls like us. After graciously accepting directions from a sympathetic local, we renavigated our way to our cozy hostel situated in Barcelona’s “gothic” quarter, ate a delicious late dinner, and spent the early morning hours getting to know our new neighborhood.
Dessert
With just two full days in the city, we wanted to see, hear, smell, taste and touch as much of Barcelona as possible. Saturday included a visit to the Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família, an indescribably impressive Roman Catholic cathedral under construction since its first stone was laid in 1882. Since the church is funded solely through tourism and donations, progress has understandably been slow, especially after the 1926 death of its world renowned architect Antoni Gaudí and later the Spanish Civil War of 1936. Though I originally thought the €11 entrance fee was a little steep, I didn’t mind paying knowing in some small way my cash would be converted into the church’s next big building project!
The Sagrada Familia reminded me of a sandcastle, the kind made with drippings of dark wet heavy clumps. From an architectural perspective, no other cathedral in existence rivals the immaculately designed uniqueness of Gaudí’s brainchild. Though harsh orange scaffolding and stacks of raw construction supplies littered the inside, it was clear this cathedral dedicated to Jesus, His family and disciples was divinely inspired.
La Sagrada Familia
Thuroughly impressed by Gaudí’s religious work, we decided to trek to the Parc Guell, an expansive garden designed by the architect and decorated with his colorful abstract artwork. The park was also “inhabited” by a number of musicians, scattered alongside the pathways and playing a variety of international instruments including an electric guitar, a steel drum, a harp, a mandolin, and a sitar.
My favorite part of the day was our makeshift lunch at the St. Josep la Boqueria market. Words would do little to explain the awesomeness of this place. I am a huge fan of preservative-less, crisp, organic foods, so to be surrounded by peakless mountains of fruits, crates of handmade chocolates, and freshly cured meats had my mouth watering even after we left. I especially enjoyed the buttery flaky crust of an empanada, several handfuls of juicy strawberries and raspberries, and samplings of every irresistible chocolate bonbon available. With eyes far larger than my stomach, spending two hours wandering the mazelike aisles of the market may have been a dangerous way to spend the afternoon.
Juicy strawberries at the market
Saturday night’s excitement was no disappointment, as a live viewing of Barcelona’s own soccer team, FC Barça, provided a healthy dosage of screaming fans, beating drums, brightly colored flags and a home team win that had everyone on their feet.
FC Barcelona vs. Bilbao
After the long day, we treated ourselves to a midnight ration of chocolate and churros, the only letdown of the trip. Though it’s nearly impossible to not enjoy the fried dough dipped generously in thickly melted chocolate, Clarissa and I have been spoiled by Granada’s far superior version of the Spanish snack. A stop at a bar for a couple of mojitos on our way back to the hostel revived our faith in Barcelona’s culinary proficiency, though!
Sunday was an equally enjoyable day, begun with a morning of street exploring and casual cathedral viewing. Barcelona is one of the most expansive cities I’ve visited, and even hours of wandering between buildings would leave whole neighborhoods untouched.
The weather was sunny and warm, and we enjoyed relaxing in the grass (actual green grass!) of the Parc Zoologic before visiting the city’s parliament building and Arc de Triomf. I liked seeing so many families taking in the sun together, and Clarissa and I had fun observing the variety of passersby.
Relaxing in the grass
Last and certainly not the least of our Barcelona experience, we succeeded in discovering the Mediterranean coast where we promptly waded into the ice-cold water, happily fulfilling our goal of tactfully enjoying yet another European destination.
Wading in the Mediterranean
Needless to say, I was exhausted once arriving back in Granada late Sunday night. I couldn’t imagine a more welcomed reason for being tired, and I was glad to have seen yet another part of Spain so distinct from the rest of the country. Barcelonians speak Catalan, a distant cousin of the version of Spanish used elsewhere, and greatly influenced by the French language. It’s really completely different from the Spanish I am learning, but fortunately, everyone in the city is familiar with Peninsular Spanish or English, and so we were able to get around the city with little trouble.
As impressive and beautiful as I found Barcelona, I can’t say it’s among my most favorite cities. I prefer the manageable size and unparalleled history of a place like Granada. I’m certainly glad to have visited Barcelona, though, and wouldn’t mind seeing it again one day. As for now, I feel no desperate need to return any time soon.
That's what I said about La Sagrada Familia! A very impressive and interesting piece of architecture for sure.
ReplyDeleteAs do I enjoy expansive market jaunts. I have a funny story I must share some time about a slight communication error we had while making a purchase in one.