Friday, April 3, 2009

Primavera anticipada

Now that I’ve finished all of my midterms, I can take a break from El Cid, pluscuamperfecto conjugations and Francisco Franco, and focus my attention on something far more exciting.


Spring Break!!


The week before Easter is known as Semana Santa -- “Holy Week” -- here in Spain, and it’s undoubtedly the most celebrated time of year. There are multiple parades every day starting tomorrow, schools and stores close, the pastelerías prepare special foods, and there’s just an overall feeling of newness and excitement that takes over the city.


With no class next week, I’ve made plans to see as much of Europe as I can, especially since this will be the last chance I’ll have to go on any long excursions. As if trekking through Italy, France, Luxembourg and Germany wasn’t thrilling enough, Ross is going to join me for the week! It’s really great how travel plans have worked out so flawlessly this semester, and I’m so appreciative that Ross and I will be able to stay with my aunt and uncle in Italy and then with Ross’s parents in Germany. Spending time with family is always wonderful, and when the family happens to be in Europe, it makes for all the more enjoyable of a trip.


Tonight I’ll land in Bologna, Italy, and take a train to Florence where I’ll meet Ross and my Uncle and cousin. We’ll be in Florence until Monday afternoon when we’re flying to Paris for a night and a day. Tuesday, Ross and I are taking a train to Luxembourg and spend the evening there before heading to Germany.


Since Semana Santa is such an important Spanish holiday, I definitely wanted to make sure I was back in Granada in time to catch sight of some of the festivities. Unfortunately, that means I have to take a super early morning flight to Málaga next Friday and then bus myself to Granada. Although I’ll miss the silent parade and the gypsy procession, there will still be a lot to see next weekend.


I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a while now, and I can’t believe it’s already April and time to go. I’m planning on taking loads of photos (and video!), overdosing on gelato and crêpes, visiting all the obligatory tourist sites, exploring as much as possible, and hopefully finding a Thai restaurant somewhere in between to satisfy my insatiable craving for the Asian food!


No comments:

Post a Comment