Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Home again


I made it home safely after what turned out to be the smoothest traveling experience I’ve ever had, complete with luggage that barely met the weight requirements and a duty-free bottle of Spanish wine that will be enjoyed soon enough!


Transitioning home has been much easier than I imagined, and just like my first few weeks in Spain, I haven’t been victimized by any culture shock just yet. It’s helped that I’ve kept myself busy with a summer classes, unpacking, watching the French Open and staying as active as possible. I haven’t spent a summer at home since high school, so it’s kind of nice being around my family again for what may be the last extended period of time before graduating in May and hurling myself into post-undergrad life. 


There are things about my time in Europe that I miss terribly, but my life here in America is so different that I’m finding it easy not to lose myself in comparing Granada to Conyers. Any comparison would hardly make sense, actually. The past six months have gone by faster than I can comprehend. It’s especially crazy how it seems like so little here at home has changed since I left, and maybe that’s why I’ve been able to seamlessly slip back into the American lifestyle that I put on hold to enjoy a semester of breathless, intoxicatingly refreshing European adventuring. 


I have loads to keep me occupied this summer, and countless photos and memories from the semester to cherish, and since I’m practically planning my future around a return to Spain, I’m convincing myself there’s no reason to be sad about having to leave. But it’s really impossible not to miss sunny afternoons in Parque Garcia Lorca, nights of delicious Moroccan or Japanese tapas, all the new people I met and friends I made, or just the constant, unavoidable learning of Spanish.


In the meantime, I’ll be working on piecing together the videos and photos I took throughout the semester. It’ll be nice to be visually reminded of all the sights and sounds I experienced all over Europe, and hopefully I’ll have a decent “videography” to share soon.


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your videography(ies). Or at the very least some of the footage from our Euro-Blitz adventure. :)

    I really want to see you, too!!!

    ReplyDelete